Monday, April 17, 2006

I Made It!!!

I made it through Lent. And here I thought that it would be hard to go forty days without having sex with other partners, but I made it. Over the last six weeks everytime somebody told me "Go fuck yourself", I'd think "Okay, at least I didn't give that up for Lent".

Overspeak
Today's dictionary.com "Word of the Day" is "choler." According to the definition it means "anger." WTF? This is a situation where I think we could trim the English language a bit. We already have a word that means "anger", and that word is "anger." "Choler" is now redunant and therefore should be stricken from the language. You'd rather keep "choler?" Okay, then lets get rid of "anger."

Seating For One
On Saturday night I damned the torpedoes and went to see the play "Permanent Collection" at the Horizon Theatre solo.

If you enjoy drama, especially those with racial tensions, then I highly recommend the play (which closes April 30th I believe). It's a story of a small privately-owned art gallery which hires an African American director upon the death of the art collection's owner. The tension builds when the new director attempts to change part of the permanent collection against the directive of the will, and wishes of a long-term employee of the gallery. I won't spoil the whole play here, instead I will instruct you to go and support local theater, even if you have to do it all by your lonesome.

Gone And Soon To Be Forgotten
An Atlanta institution closed over the weekend. The Varsity? Nope. Mary Mac's Tea Room? Nope. It was the The Home Store Futon Gallery in Little 5 Points. Oh sure, that might not mean much to you but it has been a constant companion (albeit in two locations) in Little 5 Points during my eleven year residency in Atlanta. When The Point closed, the futon place was there. When Bridgetown Grill closed, the futon place was there. I never thought that Atlanta would turn their collective nose up to futons, but I guess that I was wrong.

How I'd Like To Be Remembered, Part 1
I've received my commissioned caricature in email the other day. Here it is. What do you think?



Yeah, I know that it's no longer accurate since it is of bearded Paulie, but I think that it's kinda cool.

Turning Water Into Wine? No, Turning Running Into Walking
There are days that I am relieved when push myself to go running even when I don't feel like doing it. Then there are days like yesterday. With the warmer weather I planned to do a lot of exercise. On Saturday I allowed myself avoid running or biking and substitute yardwork in its place. On Sunday I convinced myself that a morning run would do me good. With water bottle in hand I headed out for what was to be a five to seven mile jaunt. After five minutes I knew that this effort would be less than fruitful, but I pushed on. After twelve minutes my legs were bitching, my chest was pounding, and my mind shut it all off. While I did manage to walk a total of four miles, had I known that my attempt at running was going to be so shitty I would have traded the water bottle in for my camera and done a photo stroll instead.

And now for some ideas stolen from LiveJournal...
Current Mood - cholery, yes I made it up.
Current Music - Sirius Satellite Radio, Channel 26 playing Of Montreal -- "Wraith Pinned To The Mist And Other Game"
Website Of The Day - Found Magazine is a cool site which posts images and stories about the things that they find.

If you ever want a quick glance of the sites I've picked for my Websites Of The Day, you can check them out on del.icio.us, my user name is InsideThePerimeter (go figure), and they are all tagged as "blogged."

Exercise (b)Log - walking, 4 miles on Sunday

Cheers!
Paulie [eatl/ga]