Friday, January 06, 2006

I Don't "Get" Craig's List

What am I missing? I get the fact that some guy named Craig from San Francisco started a website in the Golden Age of the Web to do classified ads and it spread like wildfire. What I'd like to know is why did it become popular?

I'd Buy That For $1, But Not The $1000 You Are Asking
For a while I have desired to buy a cheap, but serviceable computer to turn into a Linux box (yeah I know, I'm a fucking nerd). So for the past few weeks I have been checking out the computer section of the Atlanta listings. I have yet to find a bargain. People tend think that their electronics maintain a value based on the amount of money they spent to purchase it.

And yesterday I found this gem, which is even better!
Date: 2006-01-05, 2:18PM EST

Experienced computer tech willing to trade setup/repair/consulting services for time spent with ladies.

* this is in or around Gwinnett
* no -- it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests
Oh why didn't I think of this??? btw- you know it is not me because of the statement "this is in or around Gwinnett."

On The Off Chance You Thought I Was "The One"
You, the cute girl on Southbound Marta Wednesday night. Me, the guy who was reading over your shoulder in hopes that you would notice me. We both got off the train at Five Points. Should I have read your lack of interest as playing hard to get?
That's the sort of nonsense people put in the "missed connections" section. Does this shit actually work for anyone? If the same person I saw in a train was interested, and read this section of Craig's List, and responded, I might as well go out and buy a lottery ticket that night since I think both have the same odds for me.

Vindication, It's More Than Just A River In South America
Last night I stayed home to catch up on a couple of chores, and apparently re-correct my home network. Knowledge -- not necessarily good for everyone.

However, while doing all of this I was listening to a show on Sirius called "Matt Pinfield Plays Whatever The Hell He Wants" (or something to that effect) [side note for the youngsters: Matt Pinfield is "known" for once being the host of MTV's "Headbangers' Ball" and "120 Minutes"]. Last night Matt Pinfield played a song by Piebald. Yes, the same Piebald that your's truly went out and saw in concert back in November. As a matter of fact I am special!

On the local scene, good old Album 88 made me happy this morning by letting their DJs play whatever they wanted (should this have been called "Some Kid Who Never Heard Of Matt Pinfield Plays Whatever The Hell He Wants")? Anyway, in the hour or so that I was listening I heard Clap Your Hands Say Yeah, Granddaddy, and Neutral Milk Hotel. Maybe there is hope for this younger generation afterall...

The Gift That Keeps On Giving (no, not herpes)
Oh, someone will be very lucky tonight! Tonight I'll be attending a Wine And Re-Gift party hosted by my friends (and former bloggers who are currently addicted to XBox 360) Phil and Stacy. Last year I re-gifted the Jesus clock that I won at Gravity Pub bingo (much like the lamp in the movie A Christmas Story, it was the Grand Prize that night). On Monday you can find out what my wonderful gift was. Tune in then, won't you?

[UPDATE @12:45pm] My fortune cookie today reads "You may attend a party where strange customs prevail." Too funny!

And now for some ideas stolen from LiveJournal...
Current Mood - Fridaylicious
Current Music - Sirius Satellite Radio, Channel 26 playing Rilo Kiley -- "Portions For Foxes"
Website Of The Day - Craig's List, naturally.

If you ever want a quick glance of the sites I've picked for my Websites Of The Day, you can check them out on del.icio.us, my user name is InsideThePerimeter (go figure), and they are all tagged as "blogged."

Exercise (b)Log - walking, approximately 6 miles

Cheers!
Paulie [eatl/ga]