Thursday, April 28, 2005

Optimism v. Pessimism v. Don't-Give-A-Shitism

There Was A Day When I Was A Optimist
I'd buy two tickets for concerts, hoping I'd be able to get a date -- I wouldn't. I'd volunteer or go to wine tastings hoping to meet people -- I wouldn't. I'd join dating websites in hopes to meet the women I'd swear were perfect for me -- at least I came close on this one.

There Was A Day When I Was A Pessimist
I'd realize that I'm getting no younger and certainly no better looking, and can't figure out who would want to be with me. I'd think that my job can't last forever, and that I better have a back-up plan. I'd look for cabins in the mountains to move to so that I can get the hell away from the rest of society.

Today I Am A Don't-Give-A-Shitist
Popeye said it best, "I am what I am". Do what you want, I'm only concerned about Number One. *points thumbs at own chest*

What Gives You Ask?
Believe it or not, this topic is derived from the contemplation of buying a hammock. At the Inman Park Festival last weekend I passed a booth that was selling hammocks. Not just any hammocks, packable hammocks. Cooool. If I had my head on straight I would have purchased one on the spot and been done with it, but as I am wont to do, I waited, did research, found out too much information, only to realize that I should have purchased one from the original vendor.

So here is what I found out. The company makes two versions
  • "Single" -- for one person
  • "Double" -- for two people, or one-ton-o-person
If they made a "Triple" I might buy it so that these fine ladies could make a Paulie sandwich.



But back to reality. Which to buy? Do I buy the "Double" assuming that some day in the future there will be a need to hold a companion? (optimism) Or do I buy the "Single" assuming that a Unibomber cabin is where I will wind up and I'll only need to solo-style hammock? (pessimism) Decisions. Decisions.

It's Off, It's On
How short can a desire to not drink during the week last? If you are me, until Wednesday. If I hadn't had all the pizza, beer, popcorn, and chicken fingers with fries my measly four-and-a-half mile run might have done me some good.

And Finally, A Birthday Greeting!
Today is birthday number forty-two for my friend David. Seems appropriate that he turns forty-two the day before The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy hits the theaters.

And now for some ideas stolen from LiveJournal...
Current Mood - you guessed it, I don't give a shit
Current Music - Sirius Satellite Radio, Channel 26 playing Radiohead -- "I Might Be Wrong"
Website Of The Day - Treehugger Hammocks

Cheers!
Paulie [eatl/ga]