Tuesday, April 26, 2005

Desperate Measures For Desperate Times

Fasting Times At Paulie High
Hi, my name is Paulie and I have a problem...

I am a "food and beer"-holic. Today I am trying something I have never done before, fasting. My weight is out of control (as is my lack of exercise -- but that's another episode) and I need to do something desperate to stop the trend. I know "fasting is bad", but this is something I need to do to prove to myself that I can. I also have a goal to give up beer on weeknights. Believe it or not, that will be much harder to do.

Now if I could just keep myself out of GameStop and used cd stores...

Kid Rock Is A Punk-Assed Bitch
Last night's final question was the birthday game -- put the following four people in order from oldest to youngest
  • Kid Rock
  • Alanis Morissette
  • Fiona Apple
  • Rob Zombie
The in-team "discussion" boiled down to whether Kid Rock was older than Alanis Morrisette. Unfortunately for Meet The Hashers the vocal half of the table (who had the incorrect answer) steamrollered the not-quite-as-vocal half of the table (who had the correct answer) and we fell out of the money. I don't like to lose and perhaps I am only imagining it, but I swear I heard someone yell "loser" at me as I walked away. It's a game people, settle down.

May Not Be Dropping Hot, But It Certainly Drops Heavy
For the first Tuesday in some time there are a few decent releases in the cd world. Given my current state of mind I should highlight Fat Joe's new release "All or Nothing". I wonder if Fat Joe is fasting today.

Of the new releases, the one that catches my eye the most is Better Than Ezra's "Before The Robots". BTE and I go way back, more than ten years or so now. I first saw them in Huntsville, Alabama at a club called Lanny's back in the mid-nineties. That night there were no more than fifteen of us in the club (a Wednesday if memory serves me) and I enjoyed the show so much that I bought their Swell Records release (pre-major label signing with Electra) of "Deluxe" from my used cd store of choice "back in the day". I have followed the bands highs and more-plentiful lows ever since

I'd be remiss if I slighted the other notable releases of today such as Bruce Sprintsteen's "Devils And Dust", New Order's "Waiting For The Siren's Call", Ben Folds' "Songs For Silverman" and The Eels "Blinking Lights And Other Revelations".

What's that you say? I overlooked Collective Soul's "From The Ground Up"? No, I said notable releases. Oh yes I di'id!!! Sorry, I've never been a fan of the band that put Stockbridge, Georgia on the map.

And now for some ideas stolen from LiveJournal...
Current Mood - Fudgie The Whale (I'd link to Carvel's website, but it sucks)
Current Music - Sirius Satellite Radio, Channel 26 playing Bright Eyes -- "Lua"
Website Of The Day - Recipes from the Organic Valley Co-Op. They sound great maybe I'll try some -- tomorrow.

Cheers!
Paulie [eatl/ga]