Tuesday, April 12, 2005

El Perfecto!

In Bowling It's A 300; At Johnny's Pizza It's A 330
Meet The Hashers took a giant step toward becoming a next-generation Wizards (those of you who have played trivia at Manuel's Tavern on Sunday nights understand what I mean).

Last night we scored a perfect score at The Trivia Factory's version of team trivia. NEMESIS!

We went to Johnny's to crush skulls and eat good pizza. I'd say that we got one out of two -- the skull crushing, the pizza was too overcooked for my NY sensibilities. It was a good thing that there was plenty of cheese to go along with the whining coming from all around us as well. "They're cheating!" "Look how many people they have!" Boo-Fucking-Hoo, people.

Playing at Johnny's is like shooting fish in a barrel, and the payout is less than at other places. We know all of that going in, but the beer and food are cheaper so it's usually a decent alternative. However, I need to start ordering better beer, that PBR killed me. I need to be drunk before I start drinking PBR.

These Are The People In Your Neighborhood
Driving down to Johnny's I got to see Elephantitus Man standing waiving his cain near the corner of Ponce and Briarcliff. One day I hope to see him while riding my bike (in bike shorts) and get a picture of the two of us. I'll gladly post it here, appropriately titled "Polar Opposites". Wish me luck.

Hmm, Maybe That Sembler Thing Is Not As Bad As I Thought
I'm still going to grumble when traffic is shitty, but I noticed yesterday that the Sembler monstrosity, aka the Edgewood Shopping District is going to have a Kroger. Ok, I'm not a huge fan of the chain, but it will be a grocery store near, and more importantly on my way home from work. The Publix in East Lake is ok, but out of the way, and the Kroger past my hood down Moreland has never thrilled me (from now on my trips down there will be to get some Chinese pick-up at China King).

CDs Dropping, Not Too Hot
Garbage? Mariah Carey? American Hi-Fi? No thanks, I'll pass. Instead, I'll suggest you do what I've done the last couple of days. Drop by a used cd store and buy something that reminds you of better days. My purchase yesterday was Oingo Boingo's "Dead Man's Party" -- worth it for "Weird Science", but it has other great tunes as well.

And now for some ideas stolen from LiveJournal...
Current Mood - not sure, it's one of those days and this can't be good!
Current Music - Sirius Satellite Radio, Channel 25 playing Monkees -- "Love To Love"
Website Of The Day - Back Porch Records, an interesting smaller label containing Charlie Sexton, Frank Black, as well as a great band from Ohio called Over The Rhine.

Cheers!
Paulie [eatl/ga]