Tuesday, March 08, 2005

Your Check Is In The Mail

The recent ChoicePoint ("Smarter Decisions. Safer World.", my ass!) fiasco started me wondering about identity theft again. The first time I thought about this was when my wallet was stolen last year, and my driver's license had my social security number on it (now that was brilliant!)

Don't Leave The Restaurant Without It
My chances of identity theft may be lessened if I would stop doing things like leaving my credit card at restaurants. Luckily for me I called the restaurant and they had my card. In a heartwarming ceremony card holder and card were reunited last night.

I'm Sorry, But What Year Is This?
Last week I had to write out checks and mail them. Let's assume that the Internet is, let's say "commonplace", these days. Why must I still write checks? Why can't I pay everything via the Internet using a credit card or bank draft? Come on people, let's get with it! (now before you tell me that I could easily take my business to other vendors, Itell you that one of these dinosaurs is my mortgage company).

Now This Sounds Fishy
Let me give you a scenario to ponder. I'll give you a piece of paper worth $15 in exchange for your signature and bank account number. Would you do it? Sound like one of those Nigerian "get rich quick" scams?

We used to do this all of the time (and probably still do) when cancelled checks were returned to their originator. Scary, huh? I certainly think so. Sometimes it's fun to be old enough to remember "The Good Old Days."

And now for some ideas stolen from LiveJournal...
Current Mood - cold and tingly
Current Music - Sirius Satellite Radio, Channel 26 playing Snow Patrol - "Spitting Games"
Current Read - shaking that Magic 8-ball like a Polaroid picture

Cheers!
Paulie [eatl/ga]