Friday, February 25, 2005

Old Skool TV

You So Channel 13!
I guess you have to grow up in New York to get my reference. Channel 13 was (is?) New York's Public Broadcasting System (known as PBS to many) affiliate.

Sit down children and I'll tell you a story of a time when people had to get off the couch in order to change the channel. Oh, the old days....

In New York, one-time media capital of the world, we were blessed with these televsion options (and I'll only list those found on the VHF dial)
  • Channel 2 - WCBS
  • Channel 4 - WNBC
  • Channel 5 - hmm, forget what there call letters were but all I remember was that they showed "Wonderarama" starring Bob McAllister
  • Channel 7 - WABC
  • Channel 9 - WOR (then the home of my beloved New York Mets)
  • Channel 11 - WPIX (then the home of the not-so-beloved New York Yankees)
  • Channel 13 - WNET (ie PBS)
Those of you not from the Greater New York area may know the Channel 13 reference from Billy Joel's song "Pressure"
All your life is Channel 13
Sesame Street
What does it mean?
And My Point Is?
In the last week I have had two separate conversations about PBS' television offerings in the 1970s and 1980s. I came to realize that I watched a shitload of tv, some of which was actually educational!

The first conversation dealt with Bob Ross' painting show called "The Joy of Painting." In this conversation I went on to mention the other painting show which was on around the same time as "The Joy Of Painting" and my friend said that there was none. Bow to the master of television as I present to you William (Bill) Alexander! Ross had the happy clouds; Alexander had the magic white. Oh the Saturdays I spent watching them paint, laughing heartily when I thought they had finally screwed up their painting, only to watch them fix it as if it was magic.

The second conversation is an ongoing tete-a-tete with my BlogFriend ananonymousgirl. Seems to me, Miss Girl, grew up watching as much of the "boob tube", hehe I said "boob", as I did. Over the past few weeks we have traded references to many a tv show and it started me thinking about the tv I watched in my formative years -- most of which was on PBS. Here is a short list of the shows that I spent (commercial free) hours watching
  • Sesame Street
  • Mister Rogers' Neighborhood
  • Captain Kangaroo
  • The New Zoo Review
  • Zoom
  • The French Chef
  • The Galloping Gourmet
  • The Frugal Gourmet
  • Justin Wilson's Cajun Cooking
  • The Victory Garden
  • This Old House (the Bob Vila years)
  • The Woodwright's Shop
  • The Benny Hill Show (yes, it was!)
  • Mystery
  • Nova
Wasted youth? No, although in hindsight I realize that I could have used a show which taught me how to meet the opposite sex.

And now for some ideas stolen from LiveJournal...
Current Mood - pensive, have I overbooked my weekend again?
Current Music - Sirius Satellite Radio, Channel 26 playing The Shins - "Know Your Onion!"
Current Read - nothing currently -- NEXT WEEK, ALRIGHT!?! :)

Cheers,
Paulie [eatl/ga]