Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Take My Life, Please

I Hate It When I Lose My Friends
I've been a manager at this Nationally Distributed Satellite Television Company for more than seven years.

Yesterday another of my employees turned in a resignation. This one hurt a little more than normal because not only do I think that this person is a talented software developer, (s)he has become a good friend in the time that we have worked together.

I work hard to bring them in and try to keep them happy. It's inevitable that some will fly the coop for better opportunities, but it doesn't lessen the pain and guilt.

To Return Or Not To Return, That Is The Question
With time to burn before trivia last night I took my new zoom lens out for a nature hunt -- in Piedmont Park. In part I was trying to get the necessary photos for tonight's homework (which didn't work out so well) and in part to test the limits of the new lens. I was excited to use my new lens. However, when I attached the lens to the body I looked down the barrel for the first time and saw what appeared to be a defect in the lens, or a foreign object inside the outermost lens. Welcome to my world. I am now trying to decided if I should return it for replacement since I purchased it online. Why does this bullshit continually happen to me?

Here are two shots (as always click through for better image quality, although I am not uploading the originals right now due to the length of time necessary to do so).

A Bird In The Lens Is Worth Two In The Bush

If It Walks Like A Duck

At lunchtime I am going to try and capture more shots to see if the perceived imperfect is reflected in my photos. If I can notice it my decision is simple, if now I have to decide if this is a big enough inconvenience for me to return the lens and lose use of it for awhile. If you see a whacko around Perimeter Mall taking photos at lunch, honk your horn to say hello.

I'll Take "Arrowhead Stadium" For 74,000 Please, Alex
Last night Meet The Hashers gathered at Taco Mac in the Highlands for Team Trivia. While we were not at the top of our game (I should have remembered that this was the first season since 1979 that the St Louis Blues have missed the hockey playoffs!!!) we managed to "finish" the game tied for second place. The host called for team representatives (which was me last night) to come up and get a tie-breaker question.
What is the seating capacity of Arrowhead Stadium?
The team which came closest to the actual seating capacity would take second place.

Knowing Midwesterners are nuts for their football I knew that the number would be high, but not as ridiculously high as something like "The Big House" in Ann Arbor. My best guess was 74,000. The answer I found on the Internets this morning is 79,451. The team we were playing against turned in an answer that was eight seats further away from our guess (they went over, we were under), thus we claimed second place.

Google Is My Calculator
I may have blogged about this before, but do you know that if you enter a mathematical formula into Google's search bar it will parse it and provide an answer? Why bother trying to find that calculator application on whatever operating system you are using, simply Google the answer!

I calculated the height of my photos today, knowing that I needed them to be 80% of the original height of 333 pixels, using this formula 333 * .8

What Day Is It Today? Tuesday!!!
And I admit that I don't know much about the bands releasing CDs today. While I know The Dixie Chicks I've never been a fan. Mission Of Burma is playing the Pitchfork Music Festival (my Chicago trip) so I suppose that I should attempt to familiarize myself with their music.

It's that simple Kids! Today I will suggest that you check out Mission Of Burma's release of "The Obliterati." Like we say around the office "It's not rocket science."

And now for some ideas stolen from LiveJournal...
Current Mood - feeling like I've got my first poison ivy of the year
Current Music - Sirius Satellite Radio, Channel 26 playing Gomez -- "Hamoa Beach"
Website Of The Day - Morigami!!! If you liked last week's origami link, go check out Origami Tessillations. (thanks Sarah!)

If you ever want a quick glance of the sites I've picked for my Websites Of The Day, you can check them out on del.icio.us, my user name is InsideThePerimeter (go figure), and they are all tagged as "blogged."

Exercise (b)Log - nothing but walking around Piedmont Park (BOO! HISS!)

Cheers!
Paulie [eatl/ga]