Monday, May 22, 2006

Hardly Getting Over It

Twisted Ankle: A Great Photo Shoot Spoiled
Picture in your mind a beautiful state park in Northwest Georgia. Picture in your mind a picturesque lake with fauna, and breathtaking views with flora. Got them? Good, because those are the only images from my past weekend you will see.

On Friday I had planned to drive up to Summerville, set up my tent and then go for a little hike and a drive into Summerville all the while carrying my camera. When I got up there, some of my friends had already arrived and together we started drinking while attempting to guard a few select camping spots for the friends that were yet to arrive. Who am I to leave a fun group situation to go away alone? A quick trip to town to purchase food and beer was all I managed.

Saturday's Twisted Ankle half marathon was once again challenging. If you ignore the three friends who completed the half marathon in a shorter time, then I finished first amongst my friends. And for those that ran the marathon? Holy shit did I kick their collective asses!

In all seriousness, the day was warm, warmer than this Clydesdale (who ironically will drink almost any beer except Budweiser) who didn't train nearly enough enjoys. My calves began cramping around mile nine, which if you know anything about a half marathon, is about four-point-miles before one wants this to occur. I'm not saying that without the cramping I would have passed any of my friends who finished before I did, but I would have broken the three-hour mark (those of you scoffing at a three-hour half marathon need to go out and run this course before doing so). Maybe next year? I'll have to wait until the memory of the pain from this year subsides.

Once the race was over there was no way in hell that I was going to hike back out with the camera in hand to take photos.

Sunday Achy Sunday
I had huge plans for Sunday, many of those went by the wayside thanks to aches, need for sleep, and a battle with allergies.

Two major accomplishments occurred, the purchasing of a Frommer's travel guide for Chicago (trying to be optomistic for my July trip) at Borders

A Picture Share!

and lunch with some great friends.

One major accomplishment did not however, as I decided that I have been pushing the limits a bit too often recently and chose not to go see the Flaming Lips in concert. I also could fathom the thought of being around a slew of free concert-goers. Had this been a ticketed event my decision may have been changed.

Not "If" But "When"
This is my renewed attitude toward exercising. I was reminded often this weekend that I used to be in much better shape, and that if I want an improved attitude I will have to return to the daily hard work that I used to perform.

The "gym bag" has been packed with running attire, it's now up to me to use them.

And now for some ideas stolen from LiveJournal...
Current Mood - still achy and run down, perhaps it's not allergies afterall
Current Music - Sirius Satellite Radio, Channel 26 playing Margot & The Nuclear So And So's -- "Quiet As A Mouse"
Website Of The Day - I love free wifi. Apparently, so do the people at I Love Free WiFi which is a new community for listing free wifi hotspots.

If you ever want a quick glance of the sites I've picked for my Websites Of The Day, you can check them out on del.icio.us, my user name is InsideThePerimeter (go figure), and they are all tagged as "blogged."

Exercise (b)Log - 13.1 miles of trail running Saturday

Cheers!
Paulie [eatl/ga]