Tuesday, May 09, 2006

It's 5/9 : Sounds Like The Pefect Height To Me

When I was a kid I always wanted to grow up to be six-feet tall. However, my genetics deemed that I stop growing (vertically) at five feet, nine inches. Eh, being 5'9" certainly has advantages -- I can fit in any car comfortably and leg room in a plane is not really that much of an issue for me.

In Land We Trust
After receiving a phone call from Mark I changed my plans from rushing home to get a bike ride to meeting up at La Fonda Latina (veggie tacos) and then walking over to the Lake Claire Community Land Trust to do a photo stroll.

Like me, Mark is a new owner of a Nikon D50 so we are both learning how to use this new beast. I guess I snapped about twenty shots, at least fifteen of them hit the trash bin when I got home and uploaded them to my Mac. You see, I've still not mastered my aperture settings, and it wasn't until late in the shoot (after the sun had disappeared from view) that Mark mentioned shooting at a higher ISO and I realized that I was still at ISO 200. *slaps hand upon forehead repeatedly* Therefore many of my shots required a slower shutter speed than my shaky hands could accomodate (one of the two reasons I didn't become a doctor), resulting in out of focus shots. Well, at least the Land Trust is close to home...

East Island? No, Lake Claire.

For Once My Timing Was Almost Perfect
On the drive from work to meet Mark my "brake lamp" light came on. No biggie, I'm certainly capable of replacing a lightbulb (it takes but one Paulie to screw in a lightbulb). What brought a rye smile to my face was that this happened just after I had passed an auto parts store, while turning from Clairmont onto Buford Highway! Had it happened a block earlier I was in the right place at exaclty the right time.

Luckily I used to work near Buford Highway and North Druid Hills (oh, how I miss that) and am a rather observant individual. My grimace became a smile as I remembered that there was another auto parts store not more than two miles ahead. I pulled into their parking lot, determined which bulb had burned out, went into the store, and replaced the bulb on the spot. It wasn't exactly performed at NASCAR speed, but it was done efficiently, if I do say so myself.

And On The Eighth Day Paulie Obtained .Net
Before I start let me say how hard it was for me to convince myself that I had spelled "eighth" correctly.

Whilst doing a vanity search (why not?) on Sunday I came across a mention that the owners of www.InsideThePerimeter.net had let their domain registration expire. (this makes yesterday's mention about my GoDaddy frustrations abundantly clear now, doesn't it?)

Like a vulture swooping down upon roadkill I snatched it up yesterday. Thanks to k1ng I used the "777" code provided and did a domain registration and signed up for a year of hosting at Dream Host for $10. After seeing the site I kicked myself in the ass because I realized that this was the hosting service that Maigh suggested. For some reason I confused Blue Host for Dream Host so now I have hosting at each for the next year. :S

Let The Drooling Begin
I. Cannot. Wait.

(photo stolen from Engadget)

Yes, I am still a child at heart...

CD Pick Of The Week
Last week's pick, Gomez, was an easy one because I knew that I was going to see them perform later in the week. This week's pick, Grandaddy's "Just Like The Fambly Cat", is an easy pick because this will be their final production and I will never get to see them in concert. I picked up a promo copy of "Just Like The Fambly Cat" (because I still don't have enough clout to be sent them for free) two weeks ago and have spun it on the iPod a few times. To me the sound is, well, Grandaddy.

If you are not into Grandaddy's sound, or don't wish to support a band's swan song cd, there are a few other cds of note released today.

Indie music favs Snow Patrol release a new cd today called "Eyes Open." If memory serves my they are performing to a sold out crowd later this month. Obviously I don't have a ticket...

The Pearl Jam crowd may be interested to know that the Red Hot Chili Peppers release a double-cd today (so that's what they've been doing all these years!). The Peppers were a bit peeved last week when their new cd was leaked on the internets. While I cannot blame them for being mad, it is a bit naive to think that this sort of thing doesn't happen for almost every cd produced (although I don't know who would spend the time to leak the Nick Lachey cd which drops today).

And now for some ideas stolen from LiveJournal...
Current Mood - otiose, undeveloped
Current Music - Sirius Satellite Radio Channel 26, playing R.E.M. -- "Harborcoat"
Website Of The Day - I normally won't pimp the behemoths like AOL, but when they are streaming full cds for free I'll show them some love. I understand that they do this only to get you to buy cds, but I figure that I am going to do that anyway...

If you ever want a quick glance of the sites I've picked for my Websites Of The Day, you can check them out on del.icio.us, my user name is InsideThePerimeter (go figure), and they are all tagged as "blogged."

Exercise (b)Log - really long, hard bike ride photo stroll

Cheers!
Paulie [eatl/ga]