Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Datable And Debatable

Welcome back to the office (assuming you were out yesterday, of course). Go grab a tall cup of coffee and relax. I've got a lot of stuff flowing through this active mind of mine. As promised last week, it's going to be a great (short) week of blogging.

Seriously Seeking Advice
I am facing a life alone and not happy about this. Most people's response would be "Well, you need to ask women out", to which I would reply "Thanks Einstein, why didn't I think of that?"

Here's my dilemma. While I see many women who I consider to be attractive (we'll stick with the population not wearing diamonds, not in the presence of a partner, and at least to my eyes in an age range that I consider to be datable), I have no idea how to meet these women. My problem is that I get no positive feedback when I try to make eye contact, no return "come hither" glance, no smile, and overall no sense that they are thinking "Hey, he's looking at me and I sure would like to meet him." Further muddying my waters is that I am not a salesman and have never possessed skills in the art of "small talk" and cold-calling.

I am at a complete loss. Before you tell me that I need a dog, please stop. Oh and if you tell me that women like "confidence", it's like telling me that employers like "experience." You see in order to gain confidence, you must have success, so it I need success to gain confidence then I am completely fucked in all the wrong ways. Otherwise suitable advice, stern scoldings for being a pussy, and whatnot are welcome either through comments or email.

And Further, This Too Proved It Was Not To Be My Day
I went to Target for four items, two of which were not in stock.

A quick word to the toilet paper producer's of the world. Stop making the fucking rolls bigger! It's bad enough that I can no longer find packages containing fewer than eight rolls, but your goddamn triple size roll will simply not fit into my 1957 toilet paper dispenser. I know that Americans fifty years ago had much smaller asses (on average), but I don't need a roll of toilet paper that will disintegrate before I have the opportunity to finish dispensing it.

The two items I sought but could not buy were a label maker (I like neatly-printed labels -- sometimes I'm a little too anal retentive for my own good) and the new Cat Power cd, "The Greatest."

What I found out while in the store was that the label maker had been on sale last week (for 2/3rds of its original price) so it was sold out, and the Cat Power cd was currently on sale for $9, so it too was sold out.

If You Price It Right, They Will Buy
While scouring the shelves for the Cat Power cd, because sometimes they get mis-shelved or hidden by people so that they can be purchased later, I saw this endcap.



Apparently, if you price new cds reasonably, let's say $8.99, people will buy the cd instead of downloading it or stealing it. Your rebuttal RIAA?

And Of Course It's Tuesday
Wouldn't want to skip a weekly feature, would I?

This week there are a couple of different suggestions I could make.

You say you want to be on the cutting edge of this year's Greatest Band of All-Time (so says many of the critics)? You obviously need to rush out and purchase the Arctic Monkeys' "Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm Not". Even the title screams "edgy."

You say you want to dig deeper into a band that has released but one cd to date? Well, my friend you obviously want to invest your music dollars into Maximo Park's "Missing Songs". I own Maximo Park's other cd and while I enjoy it, I can't see myself buying this one.

None of those working for you? Want to see the one cd that I will be buying? Okay, I'll probably also buy the Arctic Monkeys, but I digress. I'll be buying Ray Davies' cd "Other People's Lives". Kidding! I will be buying Elbow's "Leaders Of The Free World". Btw- This is yet another release which is already out in the UK. When will these staggered releases end? And further, according to Elbow's website this cd may have already been release in the US on February 3rd; either they are wrong or Metacritic is wrong. I guess pointing fingers as to whose information was wrong is a moot point and not really worth debating.

And now for some ideas stolen from LiveJournal...
Current Mood - confused
Current Music - Sirius Satellite Radio, Channel 26, playing Clap Your Hands Say Yeah -- "Upon This Tidal Wave Of Young Blood"
Website Of The Day - If you understand how Digg works, then you'll have no problem understanding how to use Video Bomb works. As the name suggests it's a site where you can finds videos that are "Da Bomb."

If you ever want a quick glance of the sites I've picked for my Websites Of The Day, you can check them out on del.icio.us, my user name is InsideThePerimeter (go figure), and they are all tagged as "blogged."

Exercise (b)Log - running, very slow running for 5.5 miles (Streching followed. The knee?, Not too shabby, thanksforasking.)

Cheers!
Paulie [eatl/ga]