Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Business Breeds Brevity

I can't give details, but this will be a quickie.

Apple had a big day yesterday. I am quite geeked up about their announcements. I don't have time for details, but there are probably dozens of blogs/sites out there that can fill you in if you so desire.

Paste Has A Podcast
Those kids over at Paste Magazine have started a podcast that they are calling the "Paste Culture Club" (sorry, couldn't find the link for the feed). I gave their first episode, which was a mixture of music, interviews and reviews, a listen and it's pretty good. I look forward to hearing more from the folks over in Decatur.

Huh?
Try to figure this out. Studies are finding that people are listening to their music too loudly and could possibly be causing hearing loss. Recently I read where Pete Townshend (for those too young to know he was the guitarist for The Who. Look it up in your history books) is advising people to be careful with the earbuds which come with mp3 players. Given that Townshend was told that he would be going deaf if he continued to play rock music the way The Who did so many years ago, I think that he is almost an authority on the matter so I respect his concern.

Here's where I prove my stupidity for the first time (?) today. I have always been a huge fan of The Who (no, that's not the stupidity, keep reading). So, when I hear the names "Pete Towshend" and "The Who" I think to myself "Man, I haven't listened to that music in years!" and promptly start listening via my iPod. The problem with this is that I can't listen to The Who at a low volume so I crank it up, which is exactly what I have been warned not to do from no other than Pete Townshend! Thanks Pete. Thanks for nothing! At least breeding doesn't seem to be on my To-Do list anytime in the near future.

A Recipe For Stupidity
Kids and impressionable adults should stop reading now and jump to the next section.

Take
- one part new exercise routine
- one part desire to eat pizza (not just any pizza, Fellini's pizza)
- one part guilt for wanting said pizza
- one part stubborness that refuses to walk to pizza shop instead to car so that I can drive to Fellini's
- one part desire to see different scenery

Voila, you've created the three hour commute home!

While riding the train home I decided that I would stop for dinner before getting to my car. The problem was that the place I wanted to eat was further away (which was much further than I realized) than my car. But, if I am going to eat, I am going to walk dammit!

To make it perfectly clear, this long commute was not Marta's fault, it was completely mine. But that's what makes me so "special."

WTF? To BTUs
According to the gas company I used $212 worth of natural gas in my house for the month of December! Basically, I dropped the temperature, wore sweaters, used blankets, and generally froze my ass off only to use about the same amount of gas as always, just at double the rate. Bummer.

Here's to Global Warming!

And now for some ideas stolen from LiveJournal...
Current Mood - tired
Current Music - Sirius Satellite Radio, Channel 26 playing Wilco -- "Handshake Drugs (live)"
Website Of The Day - Planning a trp to New York? Bone up on your pizza knowledge by reading SliceNY, the blog about the NYC pizzeria world.

If you ever want a quick glance of the sites I've picked for my Websites Of The Day, you can check them out on del.icio.us, my user name is InsideThePerimeter (go figure), and they are all tagged as "blogged."

Exercise (b)Log - walking, approximately 7 miles (not all to get pizza)

Cheers!
Paulie [eatl/ga]