Thursday, October 06, 2005

Yours Is Not A Cruel Government

How can it be? On the jury summons I received yesterday it said "Greetings! This is your summons for jury duty." How pleasant. Now if they would only send me something that said "Salutations! This is your property tax refund."

So Lazy
There were two conditions which needed to hold yesterday so that I could make it to George's by 6pm with the attitude to run.
1) get out of work early enough to ride Marta back to the Highlands -- PASS!
2) Marta could experience little-to-no delays -- FAIL!

There was a train broken down at the Lindbergh station yesterday afternoon which caused my train to have to wait so that we could do the "go South on the Northbound rail" manuever. I pulled up to George's just in time to see my friends depart for their run. Eventhough I was highly encouraged by my friend Sarah to hurry up and change, Crotchety Old Man(tm) reared his ugly head and I decided to go into the bar for a meal instead.

But I Am So Wired
No, not because I've had too much coffee (yet), because I am a sucker and just fell victim to Wired Magazines $10 per year subscription offer sent to me in the mail. Sadly I'll probably only read half of the issues delivered (you do remember who this is typing, no?) but I really like Wired so I had to succomb.

Atlanta: A City Too Gridlocked To Move
That's what our next slogan should be. Developers are building hi-rise condos, excuse me mixed-use developments, at an alarming rate in Midtown and Buckhead. With America's push to Corporate Shopping (malls, centers, internet, etc) what is going to fill the retail segment? We are not Manhattan, Starbucks will not be putting in a store on every corner (umm, thankfully).

How are the people who move into Midtown going to get around? The streets are already saturated with cars, and I don't think that Marta has the ability to handle an increased population (besides, only a minor segment of the city finds Marta useful even with elevated gas costs).

I am no civic leader, just someone who believes he sees a problem.

[update @ 9:30am] apparently I am not the only one noticing a problem, see also Dying Peach.

Looking For Business Cards In All The Wrong Places
Fuck looking for love, I want business cards for Inside The Perimeter. Anyone know of a good source? If the company also does design consulation that would also be a benefit to me. Thanks!

Is That 'Happy Birthday' I Hear Playing?
The aforementioned Sarah is celebrating a birthday today! I know which one she is celebrating, but I am far too polite to give it away. Suffice to say, she is younger than me (who isn't?). Sarah is a hasher, Georgia Ultrarunning & Trailrunning Society (GUTS) member [psst, Sarah, I can't find the website], and really great friend. Happy Birthday Yo!

And now for some ideas stolen from LiveJournal...
Current Mood - more eh
Current Music - Sirius Satellite Radio, channel 26 playing Bright Eyes -- "The City Has Sex"
Website Of The Day - Local props to Big Peach Running Co. the fantastic running store located near the Brookhaven Marta station in the same shopping center as Starbucks (arrgh). Birthday Girl Sarah turned me onto Big Peach and on the rare ocassion that I run my feet are so happy that she did.

If you ever want a quick glance of the sites I've picked for my Websites Of The Day, you can check them out on del.icio.us, my user name is InsideThePerimeter (go figure), and they are all tagged as "blogged."

Yesterday's Exercise (b)Log - nothing

Cheers!
Paulie [eatl/ga]