Tuesday, December 28, 2004

You Are From Where?

The label on the cake box said it all, or at least enough to get my mind churning.

The company that produced the cake is in Between, Georgia. Think I'm making this up? Lookie here at this Mapquest link.

(read in the style of Abbott and Costello's "Who's On First?")

Costello: Abbott, where are you from?
Abbott: Between.
Costello: Between? Between what?
Abbott: Between, Georgia.
Costello: Abbott, Georgia is the name of a state between South Carolina and Alabama, you are from between them?
Abbott: Yep.
Costello: So are from either Atlanta, or Athens?
Abbott: Nope, Between.
Costello: Between what?! Between Atlanta and Athens?
Abbott: Yep half way between Atlanta and Athens?
Costello: Great, now what's the name of the city?
Abbott: Between.
Costello: Oh Hell!
Abbott: Hell? No, that's a city in Michigan. I'm from Between.

Now Between, Georgia may be a lovely city, bless their collective hearts. But since I've never been there (I have been to Hell, Michigan) I really don't know. Question -- Is using a preposition for your town name the greatest idea? Am I missing something? Was there a General Between in the Civil War? Was there a prominent family living there at one time, "Hi, I'm Paul Between of the Georgia Betweens"?

Of course, if I was on the panel deciding Between's name before Between was "Between", I would have suggested "Intercourse" (stolen from Pennsylvania, of course) to give Georgia the ultimate travel trifecta -- Intercourse to Climax to Cumming. Ah, cheap and easy humor...

This is 'Throwback' Tuesday
Today I am wearing a shirt that all but screams "Dot Com." It's a circa 1996 long-sleeved Ralph Lauren rugby shirt with wide blue and green stripes and a white collar. The only thing its missing is the obligatory now-defunct company logo emblazoned on the chest. :) Is the shirt out of style? Yes. Is the shirt warm? Hell yes! (it's at this point you should consider yourself lucky that I have not gotten around to setting up photo hosting). I think I'll donate it to Goodwill and periodically check to see if anyone buys it. :)

Cheers!
Paulie [eatl/ga]