Wednesday, December 22, 2004

Yesterday Day Was A Good Day

Yes, Journey said it best. As a quick aside, one of my biggest fears in high school was dating a girl who liked Journey now it's dying alone... Fuck it, I've got time!

I woke up yesterday knowing that I was taking a day off from work. Can you say 'playing hooky'? I knew you could.

My first task yesterday was to buy myself a new suit so that I could look nice for Kevin's wedding on New Year's Day. I drove the Jackmobile to my favorite Urban Wear (and I'm not even African-American, DAMN!) / Cheap Clothing establishment K&G Superstore. I got myself a "tight" suit -- that's good right? (I heard another customer refer to his new suit as being "tight" and both he and the salesman looked pleased.) The suit is three-button black with thin pinstripes, currently being altered to fit my physique. Can you say 'Playa'? I knew you could. In addition to the suit I bought some Bitch Slappin' black leather gloves and (yet another) pair of pants. For a straight man I own a lot of pants and shoes, but luckily most of them say "Plays for the Ladies Team." The only thing I didn't score was a hat. My K&G sells those "Sunday Go To Church" hats that the African- American men wear, but I figured it will be cold in Boston so this type of hat wouldn't do much good and I don't need hat hair at a wedding either.

Pleased by the completion of my main chore of the day, it was off to play. I was scheduled to do lunch (sooooo 80's) at Einstein's and then head over to the High Museum to take in the current exhibit "Van Gogh to Mondrian". Issue One -- call the exhibit what it really is, not what people want to hear. The subtitle "Modern Art from the Kroeller-Mueller Museum" is a far more accurate description of the exhibit. Issue Two -- people, it's called common courtesy! Don't hover on my back, and don't step in front of me while I am looking at the art. I don't know you, give me some space! I enjoyed the exhibit, but admittedly I don't "get" abstract art. Tell me it represents a tree, or a stanchion at the water's edge and all I can say is "You're kidding, right?" Go see it, it's art....

I was planning meeting up with my Trees Atlanta friends at Mary's, East Atlanta's gay bar (yes, Virginia straight men can go to gay bars) for Maryoke (after Monday's carolling I was feeling pretty good about my singing talents), last night but promptly fell asleep when I got home from the museum. The phone rang at 8:45pm (which when I awoke I thought it was 8:45am) -- only to be a solicitor. When I realized my internal clock was twelve hours off my first reaction was like that of Ebenezer Scrooge's when he realized that he had not missed Christmas Day. However, I quickly decided that I was tired, not feeling well, and didn't need to drink (a must in order for me to sing in public), so I went back to sleep.

Two out of three ain't bad. (now who the hell sang that? Meatloaf?)

Cheers!
Paulie [eatl/ga]