Friday, December 24, 2004

The Ghost Of Christmas Past

Last night I tried a different remedy for eradicting this cold -- drink like there is no tomorrow. For the first time in many years I closed down Gravity Pub at 2am. The occasion? A good friend of mine is in town visiting family so we did some drinking and dart throwing on a Thursday night at Gravity Pub like we used to. I love Gravity, it's like that well-worn great pair of jeans that fit perfectly -- so comfortable.

The whole evening was like a living Christmas letter. We caught up on how our lives had changed since we last saw one another. Most noticably he told me that for the entire year that he drank nothing but water. You that right, nothing but water. That changed last night, as he returned to The Drinking. For this I take no credit or blame, it was his decision. I talked about my carjack incident, and the breakup of my last long-term relationship late last year -- to wit when asked if I ever talk to her I exclaimed "Nope, once I am told that I am not 'it' I have no desire continue contact." Petty? Perhaps, but I don't need to convert girlfriends to friends, I have a lot friends. [FORESHADOW ALERT]

At 1pm today (still sick -- remedy failed) I was awaken by a knock on my door. Oh ye wise reader you have figured out who was at the door, haven't you? Yep, it was her. To her credit she was returning Christmas ornaments that have been in my family for some time and erroneously made into her pile upon breaking up. I was appreciative of the gesture. If my life was a made-for-tv movie we would have hugged, realized that we were made for one another, reconciled our differences and gotten back together. Instead I said "thanks", she said "ok", complimented my on the beard (no joke), turned and walked away.

I honestly never would have known that the ornaments were missing. In years where I am single, I choose not to decorate. Christmas decorations inside my house when I am alone depress me. And besides, what am I suppose to put under the tree, presents labelled "To: Paul, From: Paul", "To: Me, From: Me", or maybe "To: Paul, From: Santa"? For me tomorrow will be just another Saturday.

Merry Christmas, or should I say Merry Saturday!
Paulie [eatl/ga]