Monday, December 20, 2004

A Soft Spot For Hardening My Arteries

I hate fast food establishments. However, for some reason I like Taco Bell. Maybe because it's so cheap, maybe because I go so infrequently the "New Item" is different every time, or maybe I just like bad Mexican food. It's probably all three. On Saturday whilst Christmas shopping for myself, I walked from Best Buy over to Taco Bell. My friends, Atlanta is far from pedestrian-friendly, but I figured that if I was going to clog the system I needed the walk. Tip of the day, eat the Fajita Grilled Stuft Burrito (um, TB I think that should be Stuffed) with steak; washed down with a Mountain Dew, it's a meal to make me happy.

While noshing on my burrito I witnessed a family going through a ritual which I assume is as old as dirt -- "calling it." Yes, while leaving the 'restaurant' the kids were each "calling" what position in the car they wanted. (note - I don't think you are allowed to call "Shotgun" until you are of legal driving age) I was amused and wondered when the last time I "called" something, who first "called it", and how this ritual has spread over time. Remember we were doing this in the Dark Ages (read "back before the internet existed").

Cheers!
Paulie [eatl/ga]