Monday, January 24, 2005

Falcon Fever -- Wait Until Next Season

Whew, it was a whirlwind weekend...

Goodnight Johnny, Goodnight
If you are old enough to remember "Bicentenial Minutes", Pet Rocks, and the first time my blue-suede Pumas were in fashion, you might have had an emotional moment when you found out that Johnny Carson passed away yesterday. I know I did. In my youth Johnny Carson defined late night television. He was a legend, dominating the genre and opening up avenues for comedians for thirty years. When he retired it was with style and class, no great fanfare, a simple "thank you" monologue -- never to be seen again.

I didn't get to watch many Tonight Shows in the 1970s (remember children, VCRs were almost non-existent in the household then), and by the time the 1980s rolled around the Tonight Show had lost some of its clout, thanks in part to the new kid on the block, David Letterman, whose show "Late Night" was geared to the young "Gen Xers."

Oh, So You're Paul
Since my carjacking last August I have met a lot of people who know about me without ever meeting me. I assume this is what it's like to be a minor celebrity, or maybe not. This weekend while doing my civic duty of planting trees with Trees Atlanta a very nice young lady who lives in East Atlanta came up to me and said "Oh, so you're Paul..." Flattering? Yes, but I hope that in the future it occurs for completely different reasons.

Weekends Were Made For Michelob
Unless you are a beer snob like me. I attended a great birthday party this weekend -- Little Easy's 38th. It's an annual combined cajun food festival, birthday party with quality beer. And as the old song goes, "these are a few of my favorite things." The only thing that would have made it better was if it was my birthday party -- selfish bastard that I am. Well, there is something else that would have made it better, but I digress.

And now for some ideas stolen from LiveJournal...
Current Mood - fresh, interpret this as you wish
Current Music - none
Current Read - back to the land of user's manuals

Monday Morning Weigh-In
Starting weight - (approx since I didn't have a scale) 198 lbs
Target weight - 178 lbs
Current weight - 197 lbs (oops, perhaps too much beer and food this weekend)

Cheers!
Paulie [eatl/ga]