Thursday, January 13, 2005

Do I Have Athlete's Feet?

20 by 40
That's my story, and eventhough it's going to be hard as hell for me to accomplish, I am sticking to it. Being the nerd that I am, or at least claim to be, I need a scale to track my progress. Apparently the scale I thought I owned has gone elsewhere, so I was forced to buy a new one. As I often do I went to Amazon.com and happened to find a scale which has received nothing but praise from my fellow Amazon customers. As a bonus this scale not only will tell me my weight, it will also calculate my body fat -- although I am not sure I really want to know that number right now. Here's the kicker... When I opened the Amazon box yesterday I read this wonderful tidbit on the side of the scale's packaging

*Before You Buy:

This model is intended for Children (7-17) with inactive to moderately active lifestyles, and Adults with inactive or moderately active lifestyles. It is not intended for use by athletes or extremely fit people. Tanita defines "athlete" as a person involved in intense physical activity of approximately 10 hours per week and who has a resting heart rate of approximately 60 beats per minute or less. In addition, people who are involved in a "Lifetime of Fitness" and who are very fit, but are currently active 10 hours per are considered "athletes."

Basically I think that I have bought a scale for lazy people. It's a good thing that I am not one of those freaks who practices a "Lifetime of Fitness."

Easy For You To Type
You don't know how bad a typist I am. I took typing class in school -- to meet girls. I became a computer programmer -- obviously not to meet girls, but rather to make money. I should be a decent typist, but sadly I am not. I am thankful that we have electronic methods for making typing corrections, otherwise I would have spent a considerable portion of my salary on Wite Out Correction Fluid (shout out to Brookhaven Instruments Corporation, who have a link to Bic on their website -- nice netiquette).

In my time I have worn out my fair share of Backspace keys making corrections. What made me think of this was the number of times I had to retype "athlete" above. More often than not it came out "atlhete" which of course is very different. I'll blame the number of times I have typed "Atlanta" for this problem.

Another common typing error of mine is the combination of the words "in" and "the." Over a decade of being a C programmer has forever ruined my ability to type the sequence "in the" correctly. If you know C you know that a common data type is "int", hence I always wind up knocking out "int he" before backspacing to change it to "in the."

Maybe I spend the day typing the phrase "I am an athlete living in the town of Atlanta" until I get these bad habits corrected...

And now for some ideas stolen from LiveJournal...
Current Mood - upbeat
Current Music - Sirius Satellite Radio Channel 26, playing Oasis
Current Read - the owner's manual to my digital camera

Cheers!
Paulie [eatl/ga]