Tuesday, January 18, 2005

Beer Is A Four Letter Word

You may want to sit down for this one. No, I am not giving up drinking, it's the only vice I have left! I'm going to tell you a story children...

What seems like a lifetime ago I was once "dry"; I did not drink alcohol. It gets better, this occurred during my college years. It gets even better -- wait for it -- I attended college at the University of Florida (UF is usually on Playboy's "Top 10 Party Schools" list -- yes, I really did set a link to Playboy). And in case you were wondering, I am old enough to have been legal to drink when I was eighteen.

Why? It was a extremely painful New Year's Eve somewhere around 1985 that forced me into non-drinking mode, followed by a neverending desire to pay off my student loans which kept me in it through my final days of college.

What changed me? New Orleans. Seriously. During a trip to the Big Easy to attend Lollapalooza in 1993 I decided enough was enough. To my friends astonishment they exclaimed "What is that in your hand? You don't drink!" My reply, "Incorrect, you've just never seen me drink."

The microbrew craze of the DotCom 90's also helped me continue my appreciation of beer as I learned that all beer didn't have to taste like Budweiser. And while I have slipped a bit, desiring the occassional Iron City, Lone Star, or High Life, I still contest that I am a dyed-in-the-wool beer snob -- just like Michael Jackson. NOT THAT Michael Jackson, THIS Michael Jackson.

As Paul Harvey would say, "And now you know the rest of the story. Good' Day."

(by the way, love is also a four letter word and boy do I love beer)

Tuesday's Toy Of The Day
I don't have one! Booo! Hisss! I've not seen anything over the past week that has geeked me up enough to refer to it in this space. The closest thing to attaining Geekdom was the announcement of the Mac Mini. More investigation is needed for me to figure out if I really want to dive full-on back into the Apple world.

And now for some ideas stolen from LiveJournal...
Current Mood - frigid
Current Music - Sirius Satellite Radio Channel 26, playing The Thrills
Current Read - nothing today (still)

Cheers!
Paulie [eatl/ga]