Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Mmmm Lentil Soup

This being the first day of Lent make sure you remember to eat your Lentil soup today. Listen to me drop it like I'm a major Catholic or somethin'.

Huh?
Not about the eating of the Lentil soup?
Give up something I enjoy for the next forty days in the name of sacrifice?
Oh fuck that!

As Thick As An Irish Brogue
As you should know by now I love my RealiTV stories. Last night was the premiere episiode of The Amazing Race. With the exception of last season's fiasco when CBS pulled out "The Amazing Race, Family Edition", "The Amazing Race" never has failed to hook me in when I've seen it from its premiere.

Could the casting staff at CBS have pulled in any more stereotypical couples?
  • Hot girly-girls clad in pink bodysuits: CHECK (who by the way have an annoying Staten Island accent, even for this former New Yorker)
  • Gay couple: CHECK
  • Wacky Bohemian best buds from San Francisco: CHECK
  • Older married couple: CHECK
  • Beach-loving studly men: CHECK
  • Puerto Rican mother and daughter (from "Atlanta"): CHECK
  • Long-time older-women friends who annoy the shit out of me: CHECK
  • Nerdy, slightly overweight couple: CHECK
  • Ken & Barbie who will be arguing constantly (times two no less!): CHECK and CHECK
All that was missing was a team consisting of an Irish Catholic and an Irish Protestant who will arguing about religion the whole time.

I am pretty sure that you have figured out that I will be glued to the television every week to watch the drama unfold. Damn you CBS. Damn you.

I Was *This* Close To Being Primed
Last night I made a minor purchase from Amazon. When I was checking out the site told me that I qualified for a three month trial subscription to Amazon Prime. Normally whenever I "qualify" for something I conclude that I am getting scammed and ignore it immediately.

Amazon Prime (this is not a sales pitch) provides free two-day shipping for a $79 annual fee. The good thing is that there is no mimimum necessary in order to use the two-day shipping option. The bad thing is that the program costs $79 annually. Considering that it would have cost me $11 to use two-day shipping on last night's order (I went for the $6 three-to-five-day shipping option) it doesn't seem like that bad a deal afterall.

Maybe I'll jump on the offer the next time I order...

Is It Pathetic To Go To The Theatre Alone?
I'm talking about a theatre, not a movie theater. I used to really enjoy going to see plays at the local theaters such as Horizon, 14th Street Playhouse, the Alliance, etc.

Many years ago I belonged to a club which would take in a play at five different theaters after each show a subset of the attendees would have an adult beverage or two (yes, I somehow manage to work alcohol into all of my hobbies. This club was known as the "Off Broadway Club of Atlanta." and it disbanded the year after I found out about it.

Over the last couple of years I have had the desire to go see plays, but without a date to accompany me, or a group of people to attend with me, I have let the plans die on the vine.

It's Elemental, Watson
Anyone out there have a copy of Photoshop Elements v3.0 for Windows that they are willing to part with dirt-cheap or free? Eventhough Adobe has upped the version to 4.0 people still want ridiculously high prices for this now-outdated software and I refuse to pay what they want.

Hell, I've even considered buying a piece of hardware that throws the Elements software in as a bonus. That's why I bought the scanner I own, and how I acquired Photoshop Elements v2.0.

And One More Thing...
Yesterday Apple introduced the iCeberg(?), the iAnchor(?), no they call it the iPod Hi-Fi.



Only $349 for a clunky speaker system (which takes six D-cell batteries!) so you can listen to 128kbps AAC files purchased from the iTunes Music Store. Yeah, I think it's a pretty stupid idea as well.

And now for some ideas stolen from LiveJournal...
Current Mood - Ashy, but very happy that the weather is finally playing nice
Current Music - Sirius Satellite Radio Channel 26, playing Primal Scream -- "Rocks"
Website Of The Day - My DSL provider has alerted me that I will be experiencing a slight change in my connection configuration very soon. I guess it's time to bone up on my networking skills by reading the tutorials at Practically Networked.

If you ever want a quick glance of the sites I've picked for my Websites Of The Day, you can check them out on del.icio.us, my user name is InsideThePerimeter (go figure), and they are all tagged as "blogged."

Exercise (b)Log - none. I had good intentions, but you know what the path to Hell is paved with, don't you?

Cheers!
Paulie [eatl/ga]