Tuesday, June 28, 2005

You Gotta Know When To Hold Em, And When To Fold Em

City Of Atlanta, Welcome To The 90's!
I was able to pay my water bill online yesterday. Since regaining control of the billing rights to water and sewer services from United Water I have had to pay my (now monthly) bill with this crazy thing called a check. Oh, how quaint! Check out City of Atlanta's website for more deets if you think you can pay via the Internet Superhighway as well.

Dear Paul Armstrong
I will never make fun of Lance Armstrong. His ability to overcome cancer, and follow that up by winning six Tours de France (hopefully he'll wrap up his career with a seventh) are major achievements.

The web designers (or their email spamming drones) at the Lance Armstrong Foundation are fair targets, however. Perhaps they should have paid a little more attention to detail before sending out the email I received yesterday which referred to me as "Lance" instead of "Paul" in the salutation. Being a slightly-more-than-casual bike rider I am certainly flattered, but don't worry, I have no plans in pursuing the real Lance's lurv, Sheryl Crow.

iTunes Version 4.9 Contains Podcast Functionality
This can't be good for me. I spent about two hours last night subscribing to podcasts and then listening to a couple that I had never subscribed to before. I've had podcasting aggregators in the past, but I have to give credit to Apple for their ability to make things easy to use and sexy. The brilliance of their podcast directory page made it really easy for me to find podcasts that I never would have found any other way. Now if I could only figure out how to enter a URL directly into iTunes so that I can subscribe to My'Lanta. Command line entry is one thing that Apple has never really warmed up to in the past.

Start Spreading The News
I'm planning a trip to New Amsterdam, aka New York in August. As if I needed reasons other than New York fuckin' rocks and that I was born and spent nearly thirteen years there, I am planning to see my favorite movie "Glengarry Glen Ross" which came out in 1992, on Broadway at the Jacobs Theater. Never heard of "Glenngary Glen Ross?" Check this out then
It's a no holds barred, cutthroat competition in David Mamet's Pulitzer Prize-winning suspense comedy GLENGARRY GLEN ROSS, directed by two-time Tony® Award winner Joe Mantello (Take Me Out, Wicked) and featuring an all-star cast led by Alan Alda, Tony® Award winner Liev Schreiber (The Manchurian Candidate), Jeffrey Tambor (Arrested Development), Gordon Clapp (NYPD Blue), Frederick Weller (Take Me Out) and Tom Wopat (Dukes of Hazzard).
No a bad cast either, eh?

Oh no! It looks like my favorite website for tv information, TV Tome, has been gobbled up by TV.com which seems to be owned by CNET. I'm not so sure that I like this! Maybe it is the 1990's again and the City of Atlanta is on the cutting edge of technology afterall...

While in the Big Apple I can also help the New York City Subway celebrate its 150th anniversary. They are touting it as "150 Years of Rabid Transit in New York City." Oh I'm sorry, that's "150 Years of Rapid Transit in New York City."

Will Marta be around for their sesquicentennial? Who are we kidding?! They will have long since gone bankrupt and the tracks will have been turned into Segway trails by then.

All joking aside, the NYC subway site has a few cool links embedded within it. Check out their Rail Map (my home hood was near the end of the 7 in Queens), and the fascinating (at least to me) Abandoned Station List.

Have I ever mentioned my fascination with urban abandonment? Ah, I'll save that for a later date.

And now for some ideas stolen from LiveJournal...
Current Mood - doing the time warp
Current Music - Sirius Satellite Radio, Channel 26 playing Gomez -- "78 Stone Wobble"
Website Of The Day - Okay, I was going to make that NYC Subway website the Site of the day, that was until I saw a link to Men Who Look Like Kenny Rogers. Too Fucking Funny!!!

Cheers!
Paulie [eatl/ga]