Thursday, June 09, 2005

My So-Called Life

Geeks W/Blogs v. Geeks W/Cameras
A lazy night of drinking at the Highlander was what I experienced at the monthly meetup of the Atlanta People With Blogs Who Get Together To Drink. This month's twist was that we were being matched up with the Atlanta Flickr Group. It was easy to tell us apart. There were those who had cameras that could be placed into pockets, and those who had cameras that couldn't. Those who had no camera were clearly losers.

Could I Be Any More Allergic To Something Right Now?
My nose is miserable! While nothing seems to be "blooming" right now, I am incredibly disturbed at the amount of sniffling I am doing. I guess it could be that my office is moving in about a month, so everyone is kicking up the dust that has accumulated since we moved in six years ago. I haven't wiped my nose this much since Forrest Gump was introduced to his son.

If You Are Considering A Career In Chair Bocce
Here is where you don't want to be.



Yes, that is a floppy hat on my head.
Yes, that is a beer in my hand.
Yes, that spare tire around my midsection is mine, all mine.

What, you've not heard of chair bocce? Well, all you need is a bocce ball set, some number of drunks with camping chairs, and a large area filled with obstacles (such as tents). The object of this nonsense is to follow the target ball by throwing from you chair, try to get in the way of everyone, while always keeping in mind to play toward the beer source when mugs run low.

I wish there was a set of overhead time-lapse pictures that chronicled the hours of playing around camp Memorial Day weekend.

Did I mention that beer was involved?

They Put The "L" In Flinch
Last night I dropped by Full Moon Records in Candler Park. You see where this is headed, don't you?

Well, I was good, at least to a point. I didn't snatch up the REM cd "Green" that I need to replace the one that was in the car when stolen last year. I didn't buy any of the early Beastie Boys cds such as "Paul's Boutique" that my collection lacks. No, instead I rummaged through "Ye Olde Bargain Bin" looking for overlooked gems.

There is a local band called The Finch who, if memory serves me right, used to be called Atticus Finch. I was pleased when I found one of their cds in the bargain bin; the only problem was that I didn't. I don't know if it was my nearly forty-year old eyes misreading the cd jacket, the fact that I was mesmerized by the beautiful woman pictured on the cd, or both, but I failed to notice that the cd I purchased was by a band called The Flinch and not The Finch.

In the infamous words of Gilda Radner's character Emily Litella "Oh, well that's very different. Nevermind."

Three dollars, poorly spent.

And now for some ideas stolen from LiveJournal...
Current Mood - sniffling Dixie
Current Music - The Flinch's CD "Naranga" (don't bother)
Website Of The Day - My kind of eye chart -- courtesy of Men's Health magazine. (CAUTION: Not necessarily Work Safe)

Cheers!
Paulie [eatl/ga]