Wednesday, June 08, 2005

Architorture

I am back in the office, yippee!

Much like George Costanza I've always wanted to pretend to be an architect. In fact, I would have tried to become one if I knew that I wouldn't have smashed all of my models to bits in a midnight fit of rage. Computer software, while frustrating as well, was much easier to repair after fucking it up.

Happy (Would Have Been) Birthday Mr. Wright
From Google's homage to Frank Lloyd Wright I have realized that today would have been Mr. Wright's 138th birthday. I have been a lover of FLW's architecture for a long time. When living in Huntsville, Alabama I visited (although I actually never went inside since it was being lived in) one of his Usonian-designed houses in Muscle Shoals, Alabama. The Frank Lloyd Wright Foundation has done a good job of keeping his legacy alive.

Not The Only Way I Like To Get High
Did you know that Atlanta is home to the 23rd tallest building in the world? This is according to the Official World's 200 Tallest High-Rise Buildings. Yep, coming in at 1,017 feet tall the building that I will always call the Nations Bank Building (now called the Bank Of America Plaza) is takes the honor.

It's funny that I have a fascination with skyscrapers since I also have a great fear of heights.

East Atlanta Needs A Waffle House!
Last weekend I needed to feed a Waffle House craving. When a Waffle House craving hits, only a Waffle House breakfast will satisfy.

Did you know that the closest Waffle House to my house in East Atlanta is the one on Cheshire Bridge near I85? (if I am wrong about this, please let me know). That's a fucking trip-and-a-half for a Waffle House fix!

A few years ago I went to Waffle House's website to look into franchising one at I20 and Moreland Avenue (I could walk to work!). However, it requires quite a layout of cash, I figured we'd get robbed a million times, and it looks quite hard to open a new Waffle House in the Atlanta area. Bummer!

Six Feet Under, Not The Television Show
The last two times I ate at Six Feet Under in Grant Park I was accompanied by women in whom I've had much interest -- who soon after decided I was not "It". So, last night's trip was all about me, my craving for their catfish tacos, and a hope that I could try out the panorama mode on my new camera by taking a picture of Oakland Cemetery from their upstairs deck.

Two out of three ain't bad. Due to the weather I had to sit on the bottom floor and couldn't get a decent shot of the cemetery. Oh well, it's a good excuse to return at a later date. The catfish tacos were awesome, but the Brooklyn Brown beer was yellow -- go figure.

Sir Spam-A-Lot
One of the benefits of moving email addresses every once in awhile is that the spammers lag behind. Being in "the computer industry" I am very skeptical of email from sources that I don't trust implicitly.

Each of the last two days I have received an email from "info@yahoo.com" sent to one of my Yahoo accounts and delivered into my "Bulk Mail" folder. The first email was entitled "IMPORTANT NOTIFICATION" and the second was entitled "Account Alert", both if which increase my skepitism.

Anyone else getting these and know if they are safe? I refuse to open them. I still doubt they are.

Another Tuesday Missed...
Argh, I like being timely so I wish that I had time to pop this out yesterday. My CD Pick Of The Week is going to The White Stripes and their release of "Get Behind Me Satan."

This was a bit of a tough call since Coldplay and Black Eyed Peas both released cds yesterday.

And now for some ideas stolen from LiveJournal...
Current Mood - ass planted firmly in office chair
Current Music - Adam Curry's Daily Source Code for 07-Jun-05
Website Of The Day - Tall buildings, very tall buildings. The Skyscraper Page.

Cheers!
Paulie [eatl/ga]