Friday, March 18, 2005

Scenes From A Coffee Shop

Today's entry was to be blogged from Joe's, the "urban hipster's" coffee shop. That's right, it's another Friday off Inside The Perimeter because I am once again wandering into the scary land known as Outside The Perimeter. And, as I do almost every non-working Friday I planned on visiting the folks at Joe's. Eh, with all of the streetscaping work being done in the Village I'm not in the mood to fight for a parking space and then lug the laptop into the coffee shop, so I'll pound this one out on my aging desktop instead. Fear not, it will have the same quality as always. ;)

A Camping Wee Will Go
Today marks my first camping trip of the year. If you want to send the papparazzi searching for me, try sending them to Black Rock Mountain State Park up in Northeast Georgia. I'll be up there for the fourth annual Black Sheep Hash Campout at Black Rock. Can you say five kegs of beer and two smoked pigs? Hell fuckin' yeah!

So Where Did I Go Last Night?
The idea of spending St. Patty's Day at a Mexican bar (and vice-versa for Cinco de Mayo) was stolen from my friend Sandy. My co-workers and I dropped in to Cafe Jalapeno for some beverages after work. A dive you say? Well yeah, those are the best types of Mexican establishments.

While driving to the bar I couldn't miss the emptiness that once was the K-Mart shopping center on Piedmont and Sidney Marcus. It's surreal to see all of that crap gone -- soon to be replaced by "mixed-used" development.

From my caustic comments about the Edgewood Shopping District, and my volunteer work with Trees Atlanta you may think that I am completely anti-development. This Sembler project (.pdf) is the exception to that theory. Given the fact that it will replace aging retail and provide high density housing across the street from a Marta station, I wholly approve of this development. I know that Sembler sleeps better at night when I give my endorsement.

I've Been Everywhere Man, Well Not Really
A few weeks ago I was once again criticized for never having travelled outside the United States. I shall not defend my actions here, but let's just say that I hate travelling alone and I have been alone most of my adult life.

Yesterday my friend Glenn posted a link to this website that helps you show where you have been within the fifty states. Here are my results. Play along at home if you wish...

bold the states you've been to, underline the states you've lived in and italicize the state you're in now...

Alabama / Alaska / Arizona / Arkansas / California / Colorado / Connecticut / Delaware / Florida / Georgia / Hawaii / Idaho / Illinois / Indiana / Iowa / Kansas / Kentucky / Louisiana / Maine / Maryland / Massachusetts / Michigan / Minnesota / Mississippi / Missouri / Montana / Nebraska / Nevada / New Hampshire / New Jersey / New Mexico / New York / North Carolina / North Dakota / Ohio / Oklahoma / Oregon / Pennsylvania / Rhode Island / South Carolina / South Dakota / Tennessee / Texas / Utah / Vermont / Virginia / Washington / West Virginia / Wisconsin / Wyoming / Washington D.C /

Check out today's Website Of The Day to look for reasons to visit the states you have missed.

And now for some ideas stolen from LiveJournal...
Current Mood - ankle @ 90%; FRIDAY!!!!!!!
Current Music - Dido -- "Thank You" spooled from iTunes
Website Of The Day - Roadside America

Cheers!
Paulie [eatl/ga]