Saturday, October 23, 2004

NashVegas

InsideThePerimeter went way outside the perimeter last night, all the way to Nashville, Tennessee. Some of my friends and I went to see REM at the Ryman Auditorium in Nashville. As a twenty-year fan of the band I was geeked to see them once again. Ok, it's no longer the complete ban who made the hits, drummer Bill Berry long since departed, but the remaining members play many of the hits. The Ryman is a great little place to see a show. It's historic, as a former site of the Grand Ole Opry, and it boasts a good sound system.

I have been to Nashville a handful of times. This trip was easily my favorite. My friends and I visited some awesome bars -- The Second Fiddle, Robert's Western World, The Stage, and the Bluegrass Inn -- all with live bands and no cover. One of the strange characteristics of these places is that they charge an unsually high price ($3.50) for a bottle of Mille High Life. However, to their credit the PBR runs about $1-$1.50 a can. We also had a fantastic meal at Jack's Bar-B-Que. To make the meal even more memorable, we ran into Mike Mills (of REM) inside Jack's prior to the show. I'm not the "starstruck" type, but I did find it cool to run into one of the members of a band that I was going to see not two hours before the start of the show.

I am happy to be back ITP.

Paulie [eatl/ga]